Translate

Monday, July 17, 2017

La Glace à la Lavande Facile




I have always had an affinity for ice cream.  Seriously, it's a problem.  I love almost every kind.  It is truly my favorite dessert. 

Perhaps it is reminiscent of my youth; my mother would walk into the middle of the living room and in almost a near-whisper state, "Farrell's."  The mention of that one word would cause an eruption of joyous excitement.  It was really a special treat for my sister and I to go during the hot California summer when we were kiddos.
Farrell's Logo


We loved a simple cone, as well...I recall how neat it was to go to the local Thrifty's and for thirty cents, you could get a scoop of truly delicious ice cream, chosen from a plethora of flavors.
 Photo courtesy of Thrifty's via a post on their Twitter Account.



Both Thrifty's (Pharmacy) and Farrell's eventually closed.  Rite Aid continued to sell Thrifty's ice cream, but only at limited locations.  I was so excited when a couple of Farrell's Restaurants opened in Southern California, and that I have been able to share nostalgia with my children.  Rite Aid may bring back Thrifty's from what I have read, but locations near me don't carry it.  Boo.



Summer's unbearable heat calls for cool treats, and sometimes, I want to avoid braving it in the sun and traffic.  What better way to indulge my craving than with homemade ice cream that is so easy to make you can achieve its creation in a mason jar, yet so decadent it is inspired by renowned French chef Roger Verge?



This ice cream is delicious, with the delicate and pleasing flavor of lavender...just so refreshing for this time of year!





For this recipe, you will need:


3½ Cups Heavy Cream
1¼ Teaspoons Vanilla
1 Teaspoon Culinary Lavender
¼ Teaspoon Salt
¼ Cup Milk
8 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar


Using a food processor, grind the culinary lavender until it is a fine powder.



I find using my trusty (and very old, please excuse) coffee bean grinder is a sufficient substitute, especially when grinding only a minimal amount of an ingredient.
 



Combine the lavender, sugar, and salt; mix together thoroughly.  In a chilled metal bowl, combine all ingredients along with the sugar, lavender, and salt mixture.  Place all ingredients into a mason jar, and shake vigorously until the mixture has thickened (it should be able to coat the back of a spoon without dripping off).  My recipe is for a larger amount of ice cream, so I used an ice cream maker, which is also an option you might utilize.  Simply place all the ingredients into the chilled ice bucket, and follow directions on the ice cream maker.


Chill overnight for best results.  I served my ice cream with Pizzelle Italian waffle cookies as a garnish.  Light and crispy, with a mellow vanilla flavor, they are family favorite.  So yummy!



Voilà!!  The perfect treat for a hot summer day, and so simple!  The omission of egg yolks makes this recipe one that is easily prepared via a mason jar. 



If you enjoy this recipe, you may pin it for future reference:



Keep cool!!





If you enjoy this post, please visit the archives!  You may also visit my full profile to view my other blogs. Connect with me on my Facebook Page, Parsimonious Décor Darling.   You might like to visit my other blog hubs,

The Marvelous Maison, a lifestyle blog hub and 
Frugal Fab Fashionista, my fashion blog hub. 

Follow me on Pinterest!!  Please be sure to kindly follow the board guidelines, as it takes time and effort to find fabulous pins across the Internet and Pinterest!  Thank you!  

Thank you for stopping by! ❤







No comments:

Post a Comment