Translate

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Best-Ever Turkey Soup

If you've read my blog before, you know that one of my favorite cold-weather foods is soup.  So warming for the body and soul!  Today, I am sharing a tradition that I started with my family several years ago.  Every Thanksgiving, I roast a turkey.  Come Sunday, I traditionally use all the remaining meat in a soup.  This soup is very flavorful and a favorite for us! 


For this soup, you will need:

Leftover turkey
One small onion or half a large onion
Garlic cloves, approximately 5-6
Carrots
Broccoli
Celery stalks, approximately three large
A large stockpot
Chicken bouillon
Celery salt
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Small amount of black pepper

Begin by deboning your fowl.  Cube all meat; reserve a bit of fat and broth leftover from roasting as well.  Set aside. 

Fill your stockpot with water.  Put on to boil.  Rinse all vegetables; peel carrots and rinse, set aside.


Chop onion into hearty pieces.  Add to pot.


Add sliced garlic.


Chop celery into pieces, including leaves, and add to pot.  Bring to a boil.


Add cubed turkey, roasting broth, fat, and also add chicken bouillon, approximately two tablespoons.  I personally prefer Caldo Pollo.


Add garlic powder, onion powder, approximately one to two teaspoons each.  Also add celery salt and a small amount of pepper.  Important:  do not omit the celery salt.  It gives the soup the perfect flavor.  I am very heavy-handed with it, but you may use your own discretion.  It smells wonderful in the kitchen!


For this soup, I love hearty pieces of broccoli.  Not only do I include the tops, but I also peel


and chop the stalks into hearty pieces.  


When the onion is transparent, and the celery is almost cooked through,  
add the broccoli.
 

Slice carrots.  When the broccoli is halfway done, add the carrots.  Carrots cook just a bit faster than the broccoli, so I always add them secondary.
 

As the soup boils, the fat will rise.  Remove it with a ladle.
 

All set!  This lovely and tasty soup is best paired with a crusty sourdough.  So good!  Freeze leftovers immediately, or use within 2-3 days.



 
If you enjoy this post, please visit the archives!  You may also visit my full profile to view my other blogs. Connect with me on my Facebook Page, Parsimonious Décor Darling.   You might like to visit my other blog hubs,

The Marvelous Maison, a lifestyle blog hub and 
Frugal Fab Fashionista, my fashion blog hub. 

Follow me on Pinterest!!  Please be sure to kindly follow the board guidelines, as it takes time and effort to find fabulous pins across the Internet and Pinterest!  Thank you!  

Thank you for stopping by! ❤









 

No comments:

Post a Comment